What is National Smile Month?
There is now a day for everything from donuts to Star Wars, so it was only fitting that smiles got a whole month! National Smile Month, which runs from the 15th May to 15th June, is dedicated to promoting good oral health and improving the nation’s smiles. As the campaign enters its fourth decade, here’s what you need to know:
- National Smile Month is the largest and longest running oral health campaign in the UK. It’s organised by the Oral Health Foundation and focuses on three key messages:
1. Brushing teeth twice a day, morning and night, with a fluoride toothpaste.
2. Reducing your intake of sugary foods and drinks.
3. Visiting your dentist for regular check-ups.
- The campaign aims to improve the health of millions of people living in the UK by raising awareness of oral health issues and educating people on how to look after their smiles.
- To help spread the word, dental professionals and other health aficionados will be running their own initiatives to help engage and motivate their local communities. Events include school visits, toothbrush exchanges, fancy dress and even brushathons!
- When National Smile Month first launched – back in 1977 as a week-long initiative – preventative dentistry wasn’t the norm; 40 years later it’s now a key focus for every dental professional.
- National Smile Month is supported and sponsored by several household brands, including Oral-B, Polo Sugar-Free, Peppersmith and Philips Sonicare.
- Throughout National Smile Month, keep an eye out for competitions, including #mysmileyselfie and #NominateASmile – you can find more details on the official National Smile Month website.
- Friday 2nd June is Smile in Pink Day – a day dedicated to fundraising for Bridge2Aid, which will see dental clinics around the country donning pink. Bridge2Aid is a fantastic charity that provides access to emergency dental treatment for millions of people living in Africa.
- National Smile Month also helps to raise awareness of the Oral Health Foundation’s Dental Helpline: 01788 539780. This brilliant service offers free advice to anyone who needs help to improve their oral health. You can also get in touch via email: email@example.com.
For more information on National Smile Month – as well as lots of dental tips and fun facts, visit: www.nationalsmilemonth.org.